Start of the Pilot Training Sites
In early 1917, the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) Canada selected three pilot training sites around Fort Worth, Texas, because the milder Texas climate offered a better training environment. In May 1917, following our entry into the WWI conflict, they reached an agreement with the US Army’s Chief Signal Officer, George Squier, to begin training American squadrons in Canada, and in return, the US Army would construct the three fields for their own use during the winter.
When the first American squadrons began arriving from Canada in October 1917, the three fields were run by the US Army Air Service. Canadian training squadrons arrived in November and brought with them 254 Canadian-built Curtiss JN-4 aircraft.
The three fields became known as the "Flying Triangle" and were originally designated: