How do I apply for a Special Exception?
If a building or use requires a Special Exception, as specified in the “Use Regulations” within the Zoning District specification of the Zoning Ordinance, then an application must be filed with the Planning Department at least 21 days prior to the next scheduled Zoning Board of Adjustment meeting. The application consists of a letter addressed to the Zoning Board of Adjustment and submitted to Staff; a site plan drawing to scale depicting the proposed request and in accordance with Chapter 17.16 of the Zoning Ordinance; and the appropriate nonrefundable filing fee. The letter should include each of the following:
• Date
• Applicant’s name and contact information
• Applicant’s representative, if applicable
• Address of the subject property
• Legal description of the subject property
• Elevations of any buildings, structures, and signs
• Detailed explanation of the request (see below)
• Any additional information that pertains to the proposed use in support of the request

The detail explanation should include information about the proposed use; the hours of operation, if applicable; and other details about the proposed use (building and/or operation).

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a Variance or Appeal?
2. How do I apply for a Conditional Use Permit?
3. How do I apply for a Meritorious Exception?
4. How do I apply for a vacation of an easement, right-of-way or alley?
5. How do I apply for a Special Exception?
6. How much does it cost to submit an application?